Sunday, July 8, 2007

A great third place finish for Preston at Ironman Austria


Defending champion Rebecca Preston might not have claimed the overall win here today, but she was more-than-happy with her third place finish, especially as it comes two weeks after she successfully defended her Ironman Switzerland title.

Both she and coach Bret Sutton told us today that she isn't in as good shape as she was a year ago, which makes the successful day even more satisfying.

“I just went in today with the goal of having a really hard training day,” she said after the race. “Anything, like third, was a bonus.”

Preston found herself in a very different position than a year ago, when she was well clear of the rest of the women off the bike.

“It was a tough battle,” she said. “I think I had a really good swim, which I’m happy about. I was going hard on the bike, and it felt like my legs were exploding. I thought it was ‘cause I was tired, but then I looked at my brakes and they were rubbing on my wheel.”

Now the Australian will take a well-earned break before heading to Ironman Korea (her TBB team is based in Asia) and then gearing up for the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona.

No comments: