Friday, May 1, 2009
Levi Leipheimer wins Gila time trial
Levi Leipheimer continued to put his stamp of authority on the SRAM Tour of the Gila, winning the 16-mile time trial in a record time of 32:59. Bissell's Tom Zirbel placed second at 33:52 with Leipheimer's Mellow Johnny's teammate Lance Armstrong rounding out the podium.
It was a day of big gears, high speeds and high altitude. Leipheimer put a 55-tooth ring on his time trial bike. Kristin Armstrong pushed a 56. And Zirbel and his Bissell teammate Ben Jacques-Maynes ran 58s.
With the course's notorious hills and winds, it was also a hairy day on the bike. Axel Merckx drove the Livestrong follow car behind Taylor Phinney, who hit 54mph on the outbound descent in a full tuck.
After three stages, the men's general classification is as follows:
1. Levi Leipheimer (Mellow Johnny's)
2. Peter Stetina (Felt-Holowesko Partners-Garmin) at 2:39
3. Chris Baldwin (Rock Racing) at 2:51
4. Lance Armstrong (Mellow Johnny's) at 3:03
5. Phil Zajicek (Fly V) at 3:36