Thursday, May 22, 2008
Bennati Takes A Close Win At The Giro
A photo-finish was required to separate Bennati, whose stage win was his third on the Giro, and High Road’s Mark Cavendish, who shot through to the finishing line.
Third place was taken by Australian Robbie McEwen who shadowed Bennati without being able to overtake him.
Bennati came out in front at the last corner and sprint the final 200 meters for his third stage win after those in Milazzo (Stage 2) and San Vincenzo (Stage 9).
Spaniard Dionisio Galparsoro, who stands well off the pace in the overall standings, led a long sole breakaway from the start, building up a 14-minute advance on the peloton. But he was reeled back in with 10km to go.
Friday's 13th stage sees the riders tackle a 177km run between Modena and Cittadella, another potential sprinters’ stage before the Giro heads to the mountains on Saturday.
1. Daniele Bennati (I), Liquigas, 169km in 4:05:29
2. Mark Cavendish (GB), High Road
3. Robbie McEwen (Aus), Silence-Lotto
4. Koldo Fernandez (Sp), Euskaltel-Euskadi
5. Paolo Bettini (I), Quick Step, all s.t.
Overall, after Stage 12
1. Giovanni Visconti (ITA), Quick Step in 53:05:46
2. Gabriele Bosisio (ITA), Team L.P.R., at 5:50
3. Alberto Contador (ESP), Astana, at 6:59
4. Marzio Bruseghin (ITA), Lampre, at 7:52
5. Andreas Kloden (GER), Astana, at 7:54
6. Vincenzo Nibali (ITA), Liquigas, at 8:04
7. Paolo Savoldelli (ITA), Team L.P.R., at 8:09
8. Riccardo Ricco' (ITA), Saunier Duval, at 8:32
9. Danilo Di Luca (ITA), Team L.P.R., at 8:33
10. Erik Larsson Gustav (SWE), CSC, s.t.