Sunday, August 10, 2008

Contador Talks About Spain's Gold Medal


“ We are so glad, we all worked so hard for it. Our original strategy was that Alejandro Valverde or Oscar Freire would be our leaders, but Samul Sanchez proved that he was riding well. I am really excited not only for the five of us, but all of Spain. It is incredible what he has accomplished for our country, especially after such a magnificient sports year. Spanish riders have won a lot of important races. We won this year already the Tour, the Giro and the points classification in the Tour. Now the Olympics as well. And the year is not even over.

Alberto Contador did not finish the race but helped the team until the last lap. “I had some stomach problems and I felt that I could not be useful any more for my team-mates. That’s why I decided not to suffer any further and to compromise the rest of the season. It must have been something I ate. I hope to recuperate well enough to do a good time trial on Wednesday and hopefully bring another Gold back for Spain.”

No comments: