Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mario Cipollini says arrivederci to cycling


Mario Cipollini has finished his cycling career for the second time and the Italian will not race Milan-San Remo this weekend.

"My professional relationship with the American team Rock Racing has finished," said Cipollini in a statement released on Tuesday. "The plan to contest Milan-San Remo would have been meaningful if it was connected to the building and management of a new team, that in practice, despite contractual agreements, happened without the least reference to me.

"My return to competition was a stepping stone in a much larger plan to create a 'dream team'. It's a shame, but at the same time I'm grateful to all those people who have shown me warmth, support and affection over the past few months."

There had been speculation that Cipollini could ride for another team, such has Tinkoff Credit Systems, this weekend. But his statement quashed those rumours.

No comments: