Saturday, May 5, 2007
Recovox Athlete - Bausch beats the breeze
Dotsie Bausch took the victory in the 77.9-mile women's race by jumping out of the peloton inside the final kilometer. The strong winds and flat midsection of the stage kept the women's field together, something that frustrated the Colavita-Sutter Home rider.
"There was a million attacks from us and Expresscopy, but with the really strong headwind everybody got back on," she said. "I was like, you know what, we worked too hard not to win, so I went."
Rachel Heal (Webcor) crossed second, three seconds back. Gina Grain (Expresscopy.com) took third in the same time.
Baush's win came after two straight days of dominance by the women of Team Webcor. Mara Abbott, who seized the pink leader's jersey after winning the Mogollon road race, retained her overall lead - she has 35 seconds on teammate Heal in second place and 1:05 on third-placed Bausch. But Bausch was adamant that Webcor was not overpowering the women's field.
"Mara's girls did awesome yesterday. Nobody could match it," she said. "More power to her, but they're not overpowering anybody. We're here to race and we showed that today."
2007 Ben D Altamirano Tour of the Gila
Stage 3 Fort Bayard Inner Loop Road Race
1. Dotsie Bausch, Colavita-Sutter Home, 4:04:10
2. Rachel Heal (GB), Webcor, at 0:03
3. Gina Grain, Expresscopy.com, s.t.
4. Ann Samplonius (Can), Expresscopy.com, at 0:06
5. Mara Abbott, Webcor, s.t.
6. Amber Rais, Webcor, at 0:08
7. Marisa Asplund, Tibco, s.t.
8. Amy Dombroski, Excel Sports, s.t.
9. Stacy Marple, Tibco, at 0:11
10. Leigh Hobson, Cheerwine, s.t.