Sunday, May 20, 2007

George Hincapie is enjoying his first crack at the Giro d'Italia.


"I am really enjoying the Giro," Hincapie told VeloNews. "The racing is good but it's a lot more relaxed here than the Tour. This is just what I needed."

Perhaps it shouldn't come as a complete surprise that Hincapie's never raced the Giro during his long 14-year career as a professional.

The New Yorker's focus has always been on the spring classics followed by the Tour de France. With his schedule fixed on those major goals, May was typically a recovery month and the Giro just didn't fit in.

This year wasn't supposed to be any different, but his crash at the Tour of California changed everything. Hincapie broke his wrist and was sidelined for his traditional charge through the spring classics.

"It was hard to miss the classics. I trained hard to be ready but I wasn't able to go because of my injury," Hincapie said. "I decided to come here to put in some racing miles. You can't get training like this at home. It will get me in shape for the Tour."

No comments: