Thursday, June 7, 2007

Cam Widoff makes comeback at Accenture Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon


It has been a pretty tough road back from my cycle crash in Argentina. Today was a great step in my full recovery. I finished 12th , in 2:08 at the Accenture Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon held in San Francisco.

The swim was to be a calm good condition event. This was not the case … The first 300m of the swim were not bad but the middle 1km or so were pretty stiff waves being created by the consistent wind coming from under the Golden Gate bridge. My swim was solid. The long T1 run is always tough because my feet are so cold. It is a nice chance to warm up before mounting the bike. My feet stayed pretty cold for just about the entire race. Only after about half way on the run did my feet come around. I was happy with my cycle. It is a short course at only 18 miles but it makes up for the lack of distance by the toughness of the climbs and some tough wind in more than one section. My run ended up strong but I did lose some time on the 7 mile run. My legs felt really strong but lacked the leg speed that this type of race requires. No worries … I figure 4 months ago most of these cats that beat me weren’t staring at a stainless steel rod through their femur for traction. I have figured out that muscle atrophy and drilling through bone is never good for speed work. I was happy with another successful escape from the “rock”! My PT Bob was just laughing when I called him and told him about the race….oh yea…. Thanks Bob, you da’ man!

No comments: